Memphis has the highest rate of young people who are out of school and chronically unemployed in the country, commonly referred to as opportunity youth. For these young people, who are almost exclusively African-American and low-income, their current prospects of achieving social mobility are severely limited. Without radical intervention, we are steadily losing generations of young people. Many of these young adults end up in the criminal justice system. For those who do not, they are often stuck making $7.25/hour, a poverty wage that is incredibly difficult to raise a family on. The mission of The Collective is to address poverty by creating real community and investing in the vision and dreams of young adults. In the next five years, we plan on forming a community of 1,000 young adults in Memphis who have experienced poverty, realized the dream of social mobility, and who can be ambassadors in positively changing our communities. We are a membership organization that provides career pathways and opportunities for young adults so they can change the world they see.
The Position Overview
The Career Coach plays the most critical role in ensuring our young adults reach their vision and dreams. Coaches teach during the two-month intensive training run by The Collective (The Intro below), and then coach young adults through post-secondary education. The coach provides personalized guidance in a several ways: planning for life, navigating barriers, making it through school, preparing for the job application process, securing a career job, developing new skills, acquiring resources and sustaining employment. The Career Coach’s most important objective is to develop and cultivate a deep and meaningful relationship with each young adult. Career coaches are held accountable for the success of their cohort of young adults, and are expected to conduct weekly coaching sessions.
- Builds strong and long-lasting positive relationships with young adults
- Goes above and beyond to support young adults along their journey
- Conducts outreach and recruitment of participants
- Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist young adults in making and carrying out vocational and educational goals
- Assists young adults in understanding their abilities, talents, interests, and personality characteristics in order to develop career options
- Facilitates job readiness workshops that include resume writing, interview techniques, and additional soft skills training
- Plans, organizes, and conducts individual coaching sessions
- Adjusts coaching technique, based on the strengths and needs of individuals
- Helps individuals create action/development plans
- Supports young adults through their internship and employment placement process
- Assists young adults in obtaining regular, full-time employment
- Collects and maintains accurate and complete records as required, including information on the following: individual assessments, demographics, performance, and social development
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated passion and experience helping young adults to understand and communicate their true value
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred; The Collective will consider meaningful educational, work and/or military project management experience in exchange for degree requirements where appropriate
- Experienced in building, establishing, and maintaining effective relationships with young adults
- Demonstrated experience in teaching/facilitating in small groups
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a small team setting
- Strong, intuitive communicator who is comfortable presenting to, and engaging with, young adults
- Excellent organizational and data collection skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Professional experience with nonprofits or a significant track record of social sector volunteerism
- High energy and positive attitude; shows passion about The Collective’s mission
The Collective is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to supporting and encouraging diversity in the workplace. We welcome our employees’ differences regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality, with a proven track record and a passion for young adults. The Collective is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, let us know why you are interested in The Collective and specifically how you think you can contribute to the organization. Applications
will be reviewed on a rolling basis.